Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Strep Throat to Hives

Last week Addison was diagnosed with strep throat, so the doctor gave us Amoxicillin to take twice a day. So we have been giving it to her religiously. Then yesterday morning when I went to go get Addison out of bed she had a little rash on her body. She had had a similar rash before and when we took her to the doctor, she told us she could be allergic to something or teething. So I told Jordan and we needed to watch it throughout the day to see if it gets worse. Well I got home after work and it had gotten worse. We called family and a PA friend that we have. The PA told us to come over to their house so she could look at her. She told us it was hives and to stop giving her Amoxicillin and start giving her Benadryl. We gave her Benadryl last night and during the middle of the night. At 2:00a I was so worried, it was getting bad.

Jordan and I packed her up this morning and headed to the pediatrician's office. They said that she was allergic to Penicillin, which is in the Amoxicillin. We have to give her 3/4 tsp every 6 hours and a new antibiotic for her strep throat. Wow. My heart was breaking last night and this morning. Addison is so helpless and I can't make it go away.

Before you scroll any further, I posted pictures of her hives. It's pretty bad, so scroll with caution.
All over her body

4 comments:

Unknown said...

OH MY GOSH! poor baby Addison! I can just imagine how you felt. Bless her heart. Glad you know what the problem is and it's gonna get better!

Ashley said...

Poor baby girl! I know you must have been so worried. I am also allergic to penicillin and did the same thing when I was little. I hope she is better now. No more bubble gum medi!

Unknown said...

Poor baby! I hope she's feeling better!

B-Radd Goonie-Man said...

Thanks so much for you post. My little girl had the same thing and we as parents were so confused, scared, freaking out to see our girl suffer like this. So much peace of mind came as I read you post, and we were able to address it immediately, with a perfect reference. Thanks again.